The tower was blown up in the last days of the Second World War to prevent it from being used as a watchtower. The church was left as a ruin.
One day later Roermond was liberated.
Only in 1957 was the rebuilding of the church completed.
The 86 meter high tower is open for climbing every first Saturday of the month from April to October at 13:30, 14:30, and 15:30. The city guides of Hart van Limburg provide guided tours for groups by appointment.