Burcht Wassenberg

Burcht Wassenberg
Kirchstrasse 17
D-41849
WASSENBERG

Places of interest

The present castle was founded in 1740 in the area of Julich. It was the residence and seat of the bailiff of Julich.

The Bergfried was founded around 1400 within the renewing project of the fortress. The tower was built on an artificial hill top with several floors. Inside the tower there are still recognizable a huge hearth, a remnant of a stairs and a toilet. The Bergfried was the northernmost of the fortress and residence of the bailiffs and governors of Wassenberg. From here the extensive Meinweg area was ran. Among others emperor Maximilian II in 1505 and emperor Charles V visited the castle.  

Tip: From the Bergfried you can enjoy a lovely view. Admire during a walk in the historical centre many buildings from the past, like the castle and the city walls.

Nearby

The distances mentioned below are the distances from the location above.

 
0,25km
Walking/hiking routes
 
2,51km
Walking/hiking routes
 
4,61km
Walking/hiking routes
 
5,29km
Walking/hiking routes
 
5,56km
Restaurant
 
 
6,52km
Car or motorbike route
 
 
8,02km
Restaurant
 
8,02km
Walking/hiking routes
 
8,02km
Walking/hiking routes