At the end of the 8th century the missionaries Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger settled in the region of Vlodrop to spread Christianity. Here most probably the parish of Vlodrop arose, where presumably the first wooden church or chapel was built. The parish of Vlodrop-Karken-Posterholt was first mentioned in 1190. The chronicles of 1277 mentioned that the parish was dedicated to Martinus of Tours.
In 1782, a new parish church was erected and dedicated on November 10 of that year. This church had a rectangular ground plan and was made of brick. An imposing square tower with an incurved spire was half-built into the church on the west side. On December 2, 1782, the cemetery that surrounded the church was consecrated and a wall was built around it that same year. The cemetery is still in the same location today, but the church has disappeared. Later, a sacristy was also added to the south side of the church.
Restoration of Sint Martinus Church
In the years 1929-1930, a new church was built to replace the old, nearby church. This new Sint Martinus Church was designed by Caspar Franssen. During the period of 1944-1945, the church suffered heavy damage, but in 1946-1947 restoration was carried out according to the design of Joseph Franssen, the son of the original architect.