In the 9th century the fortified building was plundered by the Vikings, after which the church was built in the 11th century. The Roman church gets a Gothic tower in the 16th century, after the original tower has collapsed by the flood of the Maas. In 1916-1917 the church is renovated by Pierre Cuypers. He makes use of the opportunity to enlarge the church. A new choir in Roman style is built with the use of stones from the river Maas. A visit of the church can be combined with the Culture Historisch Museum Asselt, opposite the street.
The Sint Dionysiuskerk stands at a spot where once upon a time a Franconian fortress was looking over the river Maas.
The distances mentioned below are the distances from the location above.