The Lichtenberg

De Lichtenberg
6006 TA
The Lichtenberg
The Lichtenberg
The Maria chapel on the grounds of the Lichtenberg

Places of interest

National monument the Lichtenberg was designed by architect Pierre Weegels (1904-1966) and consists of the open-air theatre, the Maria chapel, the enclosed tennis courts and pavilion and the swimming pool (now petanque courts). The open-air theatre is currently being restored. 

The Lichtenberg national monument

The national monument de Lichtenberg has great architectural, cultural-historical, spatial and historical value. It forms an important part of Weert's cultural heritage. The sgraffito artwork was created by visual artist Harrie Martens. The monument is located in the area between Kazernelaan, Nelissenhofweg, Parklaan and IJzerenmanweg in Weert.

The monument was built between 1954 and 1961. This period falls within the post-war reconstruction period. Characteristic of this period, due to the scarcity at the time, include the choice of materials and urban planning. These were often characterised by austerity and simplicity, but also by innovation.

The pump house, entrance plaza, instructor and entrance building, enclosure, canals, bridge and ramparts are also part of the complex. The whole is hidden in the green surroundings.