Sint Antoniuskapel

Sint Antoniuskapel
Tichelveld 69
6031 GM

Places of interest

Originally the chapel was in the township Rosveld, at the old community border between Weert and Nederweert.
The construction started in 1867 as the casing of a cross. This cross was placed opposite the assumed birthplace of the Holy Anthony of Weert (1522-1572). Because of the fact that this birthplace is under discussion, he is also called Anthony van Nederweert. Anthony was a  Franciscan priest and one of the martyrs of Gorcum. In 1867 he was declared a Saint. Straight after his declaration the construction of the casing was started. In 1898 the casing was enlarged into a chapel.