The construction started in 1867 as the casing of a cross. This cross was placed opposite the assumed birthplace of the Holy Anthony of Weert (1522-1572). Because of the fact that this birthplace is under discussion, he is also called Anthony van Nederweert. Anthony was a Franciscan priest and one of the martyrs of Gorcum. In 1867 he was declared a Saint. Straight after his declaration the construction of the casing was started. In 1898 the casing was enlarged into a chapel.
Originally the chapel was in the township Rosveld, at the old community border between Weert and Nederweert.
The distances mentioned below are the distances from the location above.